Monday, August 3, 2009

Everything is "peachy- keen" in Porterville

So we have had this small, pitiful peach tree for years. At best it has given us a handful of peaches- usually buggy. So it is no wonder that we have pretty much ignored it over the years- never expecting much from it.

This year we were in for a surprise. The tree is tucked around the side of the house- outside the laundry room door- not somewhere I venture out much. This summer Gary lead me out there and showed me this:



This year the tree was loaded with peaches- so much so that it's limbs and branches were broken and the tree was struggling with the weight of the fruit. We hadn't even noticed the plight of the poor peach tree till it was too late. In spite of it's broken condition we left the fruit on and hoped that it would ripen.

And ripen they did- in fact many of them ripened while we we on our beach vacation, but luckily I was able to salvage some and did this:



Ten quarts of peaches! Woo Hoo! I feel like a real Utah Mormon housewife! Yup- things are just peachy-keen here in Porterville!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! I didnt even know we had a peach tree! Looks like you did a great job canning! That is something you will have to teach me how to do someday! I do have an apple tree now! I love you and GRRREAT work!

    ReplyDelete