Monday, December 12, 2011

O Christmas Tree!


Christmas trees are a big deal in the Miller household.  To me they hold a special kind of magic. There is nothing like sitting in a darkened room illuminated by the soft glow of colorful, bright Christmas lights and shiny, sparkling ornaments.

When I was a little girl, we not only had a Christmas tree in our living room, but we also had a little Christmas tree in each of our bedrooms.  These little trees were lovingly purchased by our dear Aunt- Auntie Maida.  These "bedroom" trees were always purchased at the grocery store.  I can remember that they lined the top of the freezer section in the store - you had to reach high to get them down.  They were the oddest little trees- about 3 feet in height and were an unnatural shade of green- almost looked like they had been dipped in a vat of  green dye.
  Here's a photo from yesteryear with one of these trees in the background.

Yep- that's "yours truly" with the cheesy smile on the front left.

Those little green trees started a tradition in the Kuhre home of having a Christmas tree in our bedrooms.  When my sister, Karen, and I were in our "tweens" Auntie Maida drove us to a very classy upscale nursery (I think the name was Adachi's or something like that)  They not only had lovely plants and flowers, but also had beautifully decorated Christmas trees and ornaments during the holiday season.  Auntie Maida bought us a small artificial white tree for our bedroom.  Karen and I chose a set of hot pink lights and glittery pink ornaments. We were so excited to hurry home and decorate our new tree.  I loved falling asleep at night to the soft pink glow of the tree- it is among my favorite Christmas memories. 

Every year we put that tree up- even when we were young adults- home from college for the holidays.  I was lucky enough to "steal" the tree from my mom's home when I married and brought it home to put in my little girls bedroom. 

So began the tradition of  "a tree in every bedroom" for the Miller family. Ever since my children were little they have had a small Christmas tree in their bedroom.  Even now that they are all grown, I still pull out the trees and put them in their bedrooms.  Those trees are just waiting for their holiday visits, welcoming them home with Christmas joy!   I have had fun carrying on this tradition for my grandchildren.  When they turn about 2 years old they receive a Christmas tree for their bedroom from Nana and Papa.


In my true style of "excess" we are now up to six Christmas trees in our home. 
Crazy- I know- but it wouldn't seem like Christmas without them. 

Take a look at our parade of Christmas trees
 Here is the grand old tree- the mother of all trees.  This is our family Christmas tree and has always been a real tree.  Each year we gave each one of our children an ornament that was chosen just for them. It is so fun decorating the tree each year and reliving the memories of those ornaments.

This little guy has been around a long time.  It has always been the "boys" tree and still is-
it is currently in  Michael's room.

Here is the pink tree of my youth.  The tree and lights have since been replaced, but these ornaments are over forty years old.  Unfortunately this photo doesn't do it justice- it really is beautiful little tree.  It now adorns Karli's room.

One of our little trees kicked the bucket this year.  No amount of glue could repair the broken stand.  I couldn't stand the thought of a bedroom without a tree- so a new tree was in order.
Meet the "peacock tree"- our newest addition.

A couple of years ago- I realized our bedroom was the only one without a Christmas tree so I dug out that old white Christmas tree that Auntie Maida  had bought for us and fluffed it up and decorated it and now Gary and I have a tree in our bedroom too.
Not too bad for a forty year old tree!

I love all of our Christmas trees- each one holds special memories- but the tree that is upstairs is a tribute to the wonderful woman who started the Christmas tree tradition for us.   When Aunite Maida passed away- I was able to inherit all of her old Christmas ornaments.  They are considered vintage now and probably would be quite coveted since vintage is so faddish now.   We place this tree in our upstairs window as a tribute to her and her never failing generosity and love for us.

Just look at these cool vintage ornaments from a 1940's dime store.  OK- I think the Santa is a little "creepy" too, but I have vivid memories of him and of all these ornaments that adorned Auntie Maida's Christmas tree.
 Every Christmas when I start to decorate, I think- wow should I put up all these Christmas trees?  It is a lot of work to put them all up, take them all down, not to mention storing them all.  But when I get them all set up and turn the lights on- I know why I put them up.  There's just something about the twinkling lights and shiny ornaments that bring a bit of Christmas magic to our home. 

Thank you Auntie Maida for creating a beautiful Christmas tradition that began with the Kuhre family and has extended to generations beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment