Tuesday, April 27, 2010

FAREWELL TO GRANDMA KUHRE

It's been a little over two weeks ago that we tearfully said goodbye to our dear mom and grandma. Truly her death was a singular experience for me- one that I can never forget or want to forget. Witnessing the death process reaffirmed my belief in life after death and strengthened my testimony of the plan of salvation. I KNOW that Mom is in heaven and that she was guided to her heavenly home by loved ones who had gone on before her.

As I spent time sharing memories of her and leafing through her life history and journals- I realized that she was a pretty amazing woman. She was so gifted in so many areas- dance, sports, music, needlepoint, teaching, gardening, and homemaking. She was so well-rounded artistically. I remember her sitting down with a crayon and paper and quickly sketching visual aids for Jr. Sunday School. I was always amazed how artistic her renderings looked. So many songs that she used to play on the piano have been going through my head these past couple of weeks--from her signature "Fantaisie Impromptu" or "Kamenoi Ostrow" to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", "Happy Wanderer", and so many more. Such happy memories!
1934- 14 years old
I know her last years were difficult for her- but she rarely complained. She always was so grateful for whatever anyone did for her. Huge feelings of love and gratitude go to Karen and Evan for their loving, devoted care of Mom during her years in Tyler. We all appreciate you both SO much!

I know that Grandma was so happy that all her grandchildren (except of course for missionary Michael) were at her funeral to honor her. Thanks to all of you for making the effort to be there. It was so great to see you all and catch up with you. So now the challenge is for all of us to stay connected and remember all that Mom (Grandma) and Dad (Papa) taught us. I am so grateful for such wonderful parents who taught us the gospel and put family first. Their awesome examples inspire me to be a better person.

Some parting shots of our time in Tyler together-
The Kuhre kids


The Grandkids






Final act of service for Grandma by her grandsons




Family-
that's what it's all about!
FAREWELL MOM!

For an auditory trip down memory lane--listen to this!

For all you grandkids- this is what your Grandma could do on the piano--AMAZING!

2 comments:

  1. such a nice tribute mom! You are amazing and so was Grandma! We will miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to Mom! I continue getting nice notes remembering the sweet ways in which Roma touched the lives of others. Let's keep up with our family ties to keep our connection strong and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete