Monday, September 26, 2011

Beautiful Brighton!

KUHRE REUNION 
JULY 14- 17, 2011

For our first Kuhre reunion we gathered in Brighton, Utah.  Brighton is a beautiful little mountain resort nestled at the top of  Big Cottonwood Canyon.  It is where the Cal and Roma Kuhre family spent many happy summer vacations.  I have such fond memories of Brighton and it was the perfect place for our very first reunion. 
How could you go wrong with beautiful scenery like this?
Silver Lake is still just as beautiful as it was years ago. 

Here is the gorgeous Brighton Chalet that all 27 of us stayed at.  We were so thrilled that nearly the entire Kuhre clan made it to the reunion.  We missed missionary Michael and Kelli, who was home with newborn baby Aiden. 

 We all had such a great time.  It was especially nostalgic for myself, Karen, David and John as we relived many of our fond memories of Brighton.  Amazingly not too much had changed since we were children. The sights, sounds, and even smells were all very familiar to me from days gone by.  I have to say that I adore Brighton- I don't know- maybe because it is tied to such sweet memories, but I'm not sure a more beautiful place exists.  I would seriously buy a cabin and move there if I was able.

The sky was so blue and the air so crisp and cool, it's no wonder that we spent the majority of our time outdoors.  There were plenty of walks around Silver Lake.  Some of the Miller and Nielsen grandkids pose on the rock we often took pictures on when we were young.
 One of our first walks was to the site of the old Kuhre cabin. William Dobbie Kuhre built a cabin in Brighton many years ago- probably in the early 1900's.  A heavy snow destroyed the old cabin and a new cabin was built in about the 1950's.  This is the cabin that we spent so many happy days at in the summer.  Sadly, it was sold and torn down about 25 years ago, but it was fun to show our children the old cabin site. 
Oddly enough the old outhouse is still standing. 
Got some memories of that place too-not as fond though!
We took a hike behind the cabin.  As children we spent many happy hours up on that mountain- Karen and I, collecting wildflowers and the boys and Dad hiking up to camp overnight.  We crossed the old stream where we used to keep our watermelon cool and where Karen and I would take our Barbie dolls for a swim.

Up on the mountain Dave lets Max try his hand at the slingshot

Karen and I on one of the rocks where we used to sit .  Here we would talk,sing and write poetry!  The summer we had to move from California to Texas, I came and cried my eyes out while I sat on one of those rocks. Although I was so sad that summer- the beauty of Brighton offered comfort to my troubled teenage soul.
David, John, Gary, and Marty hiked farther up the mountain to
see if they could locate one of the old campsites Dad took them to as boys.

The stunning vista as seen from the mountain
Of course we had to go see if our time capsule was still at the
rock on the way to Lake Solitude
Even after an hour of digging and excavating we didn't find the time capsule, 
but the kids were thrilled to find lots of worms for fishing. 
Silver Lake still had some snow around it's banks, which made for some frosty summer fun.  Nearly everyone tried their hand at fishing.  Ryan and his kids were the most successful of our crew- catching a couple of fish.

Then there was the strange case of the red roses!  Gary found a dozen roses floating in the lake which he quickly retrieved and gave to me. I don't get roses very often- so even wet, used roses were a welcome surprise. We all wondered how they got there and could only imagine some tragic spurned lover threw them in the lake in a fit of rage!  The girls had fun pretending we were beauty queens!

 We took a few walks a day- I especially loved the early morning walks with Gary.
Marty and Ryan give the little guys a break from walking.
What a fabulous time we all had!
Stay tuned for more Brighton fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment