So you're about to graduate from college. It's the day of your commencement, but you really don't want to go sit through that LONG afternoon full of
When Gary and I arrived at the SLC airport on Thursday April 26, Marty quickly informed us that he wanted to take us shooting and it seemed like the best time to do it was that afternoon-- right during the UVU general commencement exercises. Didn't take long to talk all of us out of going to that- we remember Gary's commencement in Fullerton--100 degree heat, blazing sun, thousands of people, no water- Ya know, missing commencement didn't seem like such a bad idea. Although we made it clear Marty was not getting out of the next day's graduation festivities. We didn't fly 1,000 miles to shoot guns!
We headed to Walmart and bought a bunch of ammo and then headed up to Springville Canyon. Marty's buddy, Preston, was kind enough to bring the firearms and targets. I was excited! I always liked target practice, thanks to my brothers and their awesome BB guns. I was a pretty good shot at the Lagoon Duck Hunt arcade. How hard could this be?
Gary and I take turns shooting Preston's Glock pistol
Don't we look like a couple of cops? STOP- or I'll shoot!
Marty, Sarah, Michael and Preston show us how it is really done! Sarah, Michael and Gary hit some targets. Marty and Preston were pretty impressive. Both of them hit their targets, multiple times. Mind you, Preston just left for Hawaii, where he will serve as a military police officer on Hickam Air Force Base.
Next we tried our hand with the rifle. These two did pretty good!
Marty showing Sarah how to load the gun
For the grand finale Preston pulled out this bad boy- the Shotgun!
Sure I look happy here- all smiles! That was before I shot it. That gun has some powerful kick and it didn't take long before I had a bruise on my shoulder to prove it. YIKES! One shot was enough for me.
Marty cocks and shoots
Preston dazzles us with his skeet shooting skills
Sarah and Michael give it a try. I believe Michael actually hit a clay pigeon- maybe Sarah did too. I know Preston and Marty hit a number of them. By then- I was hanging my head in shame- I didn't hit one target all day. This definitely isn't Lagoon!
I have to admit- this was the best commencement I ever went to!
Thanks Marty for a fun afternoon!






No comments:
Post a Comment