Karli got her driver's license just a few days before school started last month. She was very excited and did great on her test. I have to say that I felt quite a bit like the Dad in this cartoon as I waited for her to return from her driving test:

I love the comic strip "ZITS" and I found it quite interesting that the Duncan family was experiencing the "licensing journey" at exactly the same time we were. Each day I'd read the cartoon and be reminded about our mutual experiences. In fact if I hadn't read the following strip I would have totally forgotten to add Karli to our insurance policy.
Exciting times for Karli- although I must say a little bittersweet for me. As I watched her drive away on her first "solo" trip to tennis practice, I felt a huge tinge of sadness. What was she doing driving that car away all by herself? It seemed impossible that she could be that old already! SHE was the one who always got me through moments like this- you know sending the other kids off into the world: college, missions, marriage...I always had to pull it together no matter how sad I felt, because she was at home for me to take care of. Now she's the one going "off into the world" without me. Definitely some "growing pains" going on here for me.But it's all good! She is finding a new found independence and isn't that what parenting is all about, and you know on those rare days when I find myself still in bed as she drives away to seminary-- I think -hmmm- maybe this isn't so bad after all!

I CANT BELIEVE SHE IS THAT OLD EITHER!!!! I cried just reading this, and I suppose it is a good thing that she has her lisence and that she is growing up, but then it makes me remember how FAST the time goes and that soon my babies are going to be growing up and leaving me too!!! I dont know why being a parent has to be this hard, I just want to keep my babies close to me FOREVER...and I thought starting kindergarten was bad! Sorry mom, call me if you need to cry! :)
ReplyDeleteOh...and congrats Karli...i guess! j/k!
ReplyDelete