Thursday, September 24, 2009

MTC Bound!

Michael entered the Provo MTC on Wednesday September 23, 2009
Here are some final preparations leading up to that time:


Some final packing


There go the curls!


Michael becomes Elder Miller.
Set apart by our Stake President Richard Christenson on 9/21/09


We left for Utah on Monday night and arrived by 9:30 am Tuesday morning. We did some last minute shopping in Provo and then headed up to John and Cyd's home in Bountiful. We enjoyed a nice evening there where they prepared a yummy BBQ dinner for us. Judy, Dave and Lora dropped by and Marty came up from Provo. Michael had a fun last evening visiting with cousins- Tifanee, Devin and stayed up WAY too late for a missionary! :)

The next morning we left for Provo and met up with Marty for an early lunch at where else--Chuck-a-Rama! The food was OK but the scones with honey butter and the POG (passion, orange, guava) juice was to die for!


Michael and Marty then bid each other goodbye-no tears or mushy stuff- just see ya! How DO they do that?
Then it was on to the MTC. As you might have heard the routine has changed due to the "dreaded swine flu". Now you have to drop missionaries at curbside and no family members are allowed into the MTC. They do let you park across the street and walk over for your photo ops--which we took advantage of

Elder Miller by the Provo Temple








Then we headed back to the parking lot for our final goodbyes and made the drive across the street to the MTC. They directed us to a parking place in front of the curb. Very organized with about 20 designated places...we had to drive all the way around the back to #17.


Unloading the luggage and passing off the immunization card


One final hug goodbye


And he's off!

We took off for home soon after we dropped him off. It was a long ride home. Everything made me think about Michael... Gary knew he was in for trouble when I teared up at the umbrellas we saw at Old Navy on a stop out of town (Michael had been searching for an umbrella to take to Ecuador with him) to spotting a bag of French Onion Sun Chips (Michael's favorite) in the car and wondering who was going to eat them now. Everytime I looked at the clock I wondered what Michael was doing..if he'd eaten dinner yet or was getting ready for bed. Karli heard a song and the radio and got weepy- saying that she and Michael used to sing that song together. Even a day later- I find myself still thinking about him minute by minute. It sure is hard saying goodbye.

As I got in the car at the MTC to leave, Gary asked me aloud (probably in jest) "Kathy,are you happy?" I said with tears streaming down my face.."not right now I'm not", but then I had to pause and think that I was indeed happy. Michael was doing exactly what we raised him to do and I wouldn't want him anywhere else right now at this time of his life, but on a mission serving the Lord. We are so proud of him and trust the Lord will take care of him these next two years just as the has Lord trusted us to take care of him for the last 19 years. Am I happy? Yes- I do believe I am!







1 comment:

  1. Thank you sooo much for posting this! It is so good to see the pics of Michael at the MTC and to see him heading into his new journey as a missionary! I sure do miss him though, and cried very much reading what you wrote...too bad we all cant be like Marty and say see ya later...I am sooo proud of Michael too and know that he will be taken care of and be an awesome missionary!

    ReplyDelete